Health Science Showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

Health Science Showcase

On Thursday,  March 28, 2019, the students of the Health Science Academy will host a health science showcase. The event will take place in the Elizondo Gym and start at 5:30 p.m. The health science students will have booths set up with fun activities displaying what they have learned, and the staff will provide an introduction held in the beginning before entering the fair.

The Health Science Academy is set of courses  for students that are interested in pursuing a health science career. As freshmen, students take Principles of Health Science, a course where students learn how to be a professional health care provider. As sophomores, the students begin to learn medical terminology where they learn the language of health care. Once the students become juniors, they will take  an EKG/ECG class. An ECG is an electrocardiogram that measures the electrical activity of the heart. They learn how to use an ECG machine and how to read an ECG tracing. Finally, as seniors, the students will take a EMT class where they train to be an emergency medical technician and a phlebotomy class where they learn how to draw blood.

All of these skills will be presented at the health science showcase to “show how much the kids have learned,” said Dr. Benibo, Dean of STEM Academy and Students Services.

The fair is interactive and the students are expected to be “…enthusiastic, to be proud of their projects and to interact with the public in a personal manner,” said Mrs. Garza, the Principles of Health Science and Medical Terminology teacher at Moody High School.

Students will showcase skills in CNA/EKG, phlebotomy, EMT, patient care tech, medical terminology, vitals, and CPR.

In addition, there will be a table set up by the parent liaison, Patty Young. Ms. Young obtained a literacy grant and is eager to meet parents and give out books to students who attend. She will be set up in the cafeteria during the showcase.

Make plans to join us on Thursday, March 28, 2019. It will begin at 5:30 p.m.

Alyssa Ramirez
John Commisky and Maria Delgado practicing patient care.